Sunday, July 3, 2011

More of the same

I'm at a sort of stalemate in my efforts.

Being unemployed, and of very meager means, I'm forced to work with what I have. And little of that, if any, is healthy. The majority of the food in the house comes from Angel Food Ministries - it's a good way for poor folks to get a good amount of food. But it's more meant to feed, rather than maintain health, or reacquire health. It does have fresh fruits and veggies, as well as assorted frozen veggies, but those only go so far, especially with the rest of it being mostly junk. Another thing holding me back is coupons. Since my mom does the shopping, and doesn't understand (despite my repeated reminders and explanations) that coupons aren't actually as beneficial as she thinks they are, the flow of junk food into the house is heavy. She also tries to treat me as a food compactor. I'm urged to make sure everything from each meal is fully consumed, rather than saving it for leftovers. Luckily, I'm fully in charge of cooking, so I can be as healthily subversive as possible, but again, that's not much. It's a lot of food from a box or a can, with unnatural ingredients.

I try to make up for this as much as I can with my exercising, but that's hit a sort of snag, too. I recently traded Wii systems with my brother's wife. She wants a chance to beat the Fit records on my system, and I'll have a chance to beat the Fit records on her system. The trouble there, though, is I think my balance board is fritzing. It seems to think something is on it when nothing is. It's probably because I've been using it so vigorously, and exceed it's weight limit by so much. So I've resorted to more at-home capoeira and night walking. I'm averaging about an hour of capo (mostly ginga at various speeds, but also working on my aú), and a little over a mile of walking (twice around the neighborhood, the long way). I can still do the Wii Sports, though, so my boxing hasn't yet suffered. ;D

1 comment:

  1. Leftovers are a good thing. Don't let your mom make you feel guilty for not finishing everything prepared. Pack it for lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete